As the UAE celebrates its Golden Jubilee, Yas Island Abu Dhabi, one of the world’s leading leisure and entertainment destinations, is rounding off a triumphant year having received 50 awards, plaudits and accolades in 2021. The destination and its portfolio of world-class developments, internationally renowned attractions, immersive technology, diverse experiences, exceptional hotels, resorts and restaurants and intuitive customer service were recognised across multiple international, regional and local platforms.
Marking a record-breaking year with 50 awards and accolades, Yas Island has continued to evolve as one of the world’s premier leisure and tourism destinations and has become one of the most recognised in the region. Yas Island’s unique portfolio of theme parks, attractions and experiences include Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, Yas Waterworld, Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi and CLYMB™ Abu Dhabi.
HE Mohamed Khalifa Al Mubarak, Chairman of Miral, said: “We are honoured with these 50 plus accolades and awards as we witness yet another year of international recognition from leading industry bodies, which reflects our ongoing commitment to excellence. This is a testament to Yas Island’s steadily growing position as a top global destination for leisure, entertainment and business. Home to award-winning attractions and experiences, Yas Island is an integral part of the overall growth of Abu Dhabi’s tourism industry.”
Global recognition at The World Travel Awards
Yas Island and its world-class theme parks, experiences and attractions were recognised in seven categories in the globally renowned World Travel Awards in 2021. In addition to scooping the accolade of ‘World’s Leading Theme Park Destination 2021’, Yas Island received the flagship ‘Middle East’s Leading Tourism Development Project’ award for the third consecutive year, testament to the global reputation of the leisure and entertainment hub. In addition, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi the world’s first Ferrari-themed park was named the ‘World’s Leading Theme Park 2021’ and ‘Middle East’s Leading Theme Park 2021’, while the Emirati-themed waterpark Yas Waterworld, was recognised as ‘Middle East’s Leading Water Park 2021’ and Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi, was named as ‘Middle East’s Leading Tourist Attraction 2021’.
As part of the ceremony, the record-breaking adventure hub CLYMB™ Abu Dhabi, boasting the world’s largest indoor flight chamber and the region’s tallest indoor climbing wall, was once again awarded the accolade of ‘Middle East’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction 2021’.
Taking centre stage at the International Travel Awards
Yas Theme Parks and attractions were commended in four regional categories in the International Travel Awards, which honours global tourism destinations, attractions and hotels.
Ferrari World Abu Dhabi was named the Best Tourist Attraction in the Middle East, Yas Waterworld received Best Waterpark in the Middle East and Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi was recognised as the Best Theme Park in the Middle East, while CLYMB was awarded the Best Indoor Adventure Park in the UAE.
On the world stage as a leading motorsports, golfing, lifestyle and dining destination
Yas Island’s portfolio of hotels, resorts, and lifestyle offerings have received plaudits during 2021 across multiple categories including dining, entertainment as well as motorsports and golf.
Yas Marina Circuit and Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Abu Dhabi won gold for Best Live Experience at a Professional Sports Event in the Sports Industry Awards (SPIA), while Yas Marina Circuit took home a silver trophy for the ADNOC Yas in Schools –Best Youth Development Project of the Year. The entries were selected by an independent panel of judges, made up of industry experts, as well as some publicly voted categories by fans.
World Golf Awards celebrated Yas Links Abu Dhabi, as the Middle East’s Number One 9-hole golf course. Similarly, leading industry website Top100GolfCourses ranked Yas Links as the Middle East’s Best Golf Course, reinforcing its strong reputation regionally and internationally.
Yas Island’s lifestyle and culinary offerings were also recognised by consumer magazines such as What’s On, naming Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi as Favourite Attraction, and CLYMB™ Abu Dhabi as Favourite Fitness Facility.
In addition, hotels and resorts received multiple accolades for their line-up of culinary offerings at the FACT Dining Awards Abu Dhabi 2021, the consumer awards recognising excellence in the food and beverage industry. W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island received a host of trophies including Best Friday Brunch of the Year, Best Beach/Pool Bar and Best All Day Dining Restaurant. Additionally, Radisson Blu Abu Dhabi, Yas Island was awarded Favourite Casual Italian for Filini Garden.
With a welcoming environment for pets, W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island was recognised as the runner-up in the Favourite Pet-Friendly Hotel category of the Animalia Pet Industry Awards 2021.
Garnering industry recognition
Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi was proud to receive industry recognition at the International Association of Amusement Parks (IAAPA) Awards, which mark achievements of excellence throughout the global attractions industry. The theme park was celebrated for its world’s class rides and attractions and awarded the Brass Ring Award – Spirit Award for the ‘Global Launch of Looney Tunes as DC Superheroes’.
Yas Island’s attractions and amusement parks continued to dazzle on the industry stage during 2021 with multiple plaudits received for Yas Theme Parks during the annual Stevie Awards. The Stevie Awards which celebrate the best in business recognised Ferrari World Abu Dhabi with a bronze trophy for ‘Winter on Italian Street’, while Bugs Bunny’s 80th anniversary and Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi’s new logo reveal received bronze trophies
In recognition of Yas Island’s efforts to keep visitors to its theme parks safe during the pandemic, Yas Island received a bronze at the Stevie Awards for ‘Internal Community Engagement during the Global Pandemic’.
Yas Marina, at the heart of Yas Island’s sailing, marine, watersports and dining community was awarded the esteemed Five Gold Anchor Platinum accreditation by The Yacht Harbour Association (THYA) – one of the industry’s oldest and most respected governing bodies. The coveted award positions Yas Marina as the first marina in the UAE and GCC to be awarded the industry’s highest accolade and recognises Yas Marina’s exceptional facilities, amenities and excellent service levels.
Recognised by consumers worldwide
Yas Theme Parks and attractions continue to surprise and delight visitors while garnering guest accolades across popular global consumer review platforms such as TripAdvisor. Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, Yas Waterworld, Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi and CLYMB™ Abu Dhabi each earned the ‘Travelers Choice Award 2021’. Based on millions of reviews and opinions from travellers from around the world, the TripAdvisor Awards recognise and reward the very best tourism establishments in terms of service, quality and customer satisfaction.
Raising the bar for customer experience
Experience Hub, the Yas Island destination partner and Yas Concierge, the customer experience arm for Yas Island and a subsidiarity of Experience Hub triumphed among international and regional peers, drawn from an elite pool of leading global brands and was presented with four trophies at the prestigious International Customer Experience Awards which recognise outstanding customer experience.
Experience Hub received two gold trophies including Best Customer Service SME, recognising Yas Island’s efforts in pioneering customer focused enhancements to deliver seamless client interactions across multiple channels. Meanwhile, Fergus Bugg, Director of Customer Experience and Products at Experience Hub was recognised as the Gold Winner for Customer Experience Leader of the Year award. In addition, Experience Hub was received two bronze trophies for Best Digital Customer Experience and Best Contact Centre.
Yas Concierge, was the proud winner of the CX Pioneers Award at the Genesys G Summit in June 2021, recognising the destination’s client-centric experience and pioneering digital and technology enhancements, which deliver seamless consumer interactions across multiple channels.
Setting the gold standard with innovative technology and seamless experiences
Striving to offer tech-savvy visitors the latest innovative experiences and attractions, Yas Island’s technological advances and groundbreaking attractions were recognised on the global stage in the 2021 edition of the Blooloop Innovation Awards, which celebrate the global theme park industry. Yas Island debuted FacePass contactless technology in 2021 at its theme parks as part of its promise of creating a world-class wall-less destination using the latest technology. As such, Farah Experiences received the gold award for technology at the Blooloop Innovation Awards . In addition, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi’s Roof Walk and Zip Line experiences, were recognised with a gold award in the ‘Spectacular’ category, while UAE’s first-ever underwater VR experience at Yas Waterworld earned a bronze award in the ‘Splash’ category.
Splashing to Guinness World Record success
Yas Island’s iconic waterpark, which promises legendary adventure for all ages held its first ever GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ live event where guests broke six world titles in two days including the record of the most water moved using a sponge in one minute and the fastest time to collect five balls in the water on a waterbed. With over 40 rides, slides and attractions, Yas Waterworld continues to make a splash globally!
The marketing efforts of Yas Island were recognised as the Yas Island destination communications team received the gold award for Consumer Services in the Middle East Public Relations Association (MEPRA) Awards for the roll-out of its consumer communications campaign ‘Stayin’ on Yas’ which amassed more than 16 million views globally. In addition, Yas Island’s family marketing campaign ‘Toy Talks’ was acclaimed for demonstrating that much cherished toys and games need a holiday too, with a Bronze trophy awarded in the New Products or Service Introduction category.
Attracting tourists from across the globe, Yas Island’s immersive hospitality and leisure attractions help reinforce its position as a world-class destination for leisure, entertainment and business, offering memorable experiences unlike anywhere else in the region.
From adrenaline fueled rides, family-friendly attractions, and traditional meals to sumptuous brunches all set against a backdrop of fabulous fireworks and festive events, Yas Island is your ideal fun-packed place to spend the holiday season. Visitors to Yas Island will discover a spectacular destination adorned with festive lights during the winter season, celebrating this special time of year.
Theme Park Fun
Winter On Italian Street at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi:
Add an Italian twist to your holiday season this year and enjoy Winter On Italian Street at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. You can enhance your experience further with a visit to a 9 hole-mini golf course, or head to the Winterfest Quest Live Entertainment at La Piazza for your viewing pleasure. Prices start from AED230 per person.
Warner Bros. World™ Abu Dhabi’s Winter Spectacular Make it a holiday season to remember with Winter Spectacular at Warner Bros. Abu Dhabi as the award-winning theme park is transformed into a Looney Winter to enjoy the “Bugs Saves the Holidays” show and celebrate the most beautiful time of the year, the Looney way! That’s not all, folks! Set on a journey exploring the enchanting experiences, unique dining and retail options, and world-class rides for unforgettable fun for you and the whole family.
Winter Movie Nights at Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi
This festive season, enjoy a night of wonder at the waterpark’s splash-tastic line up of immersive aqua-adventures and fantastic holiday films including Elf, Polar Express, Happy Feet, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
Yas Mall’s Winter Festivities
A fun-tastical festival with multiple activities for the entire family with Giant Christmas Tree, Meet Santa Claus, Gingerbread man workshop, Santa Express & Letter to Santa, Festive F&B offering, Festive Arts & Craft for little ones, Elf Toy Factory, Musical nutcracker jukebox, along with Roaming entertainment and engagement points for children and the entire family. Also, discover our Santa’s Gifts and Festive market to win prizes & enjoy winter sales at participating retailers.
Yas Marina Circuit
Wild Family Time:
Spice things up the Yas Kartzone way. The legendary destination for petrolheads and carters alike is offering a host of combo packs to make for wild seasonal and holiday fun, including:
Fam mini challenge: 1 x adult and 1 x junior or bambino from AED149
Fam maxi challenge: 2 x adult and 2 x junior or bambino from AED279
Rock-up, book your slot and away you go. No pre-booking required.
Formula Yas 3000
Get behind the wheel of the Formula Yas 3000 – a real single-seat racing car with ultimate grip. Whip around Yas Marina Circuit for a 20 minute session, starting from AED 1,840.
Karting Academy for Kids and Juniors
Want your kids to get some racing experience in? Get them the perfect seasonal present and enroll them in Yas Marina Circuit’s Karting Academy, an eight week programme, with two hour sessions once a week. Classes start on January 21. Prices for kids aged 5 – 7 start from AED 1,990 and for juniors aged 8 – 12 from AED 2,190
Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, Radisson Blu Hotel Abu Dhabi Yas Island, Yas Island Rotana, W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, Hilton Abu Dhabi Yas Island, Yas Links The Fountains Yas Island and Yas Marina will all be decked out in their festive finest and offering a range of seasonal celebratory events and seasonal meals. Whether you fancy a traditional festive feast, mixing it up with a more modern take on the season or a delicious takeaway to enjoy at home, Yas Island’s hotels and resorts offer an array of decadent dishes for the whole family to savour.
Spectacular Weekend Fireworks Displays
Following the incredible fireworks display in Yas Bay Waterfront for the Golden Jubilee celebrations, Yas Island will host spectacular fireworks displays every weekend in December to celebrate the festive period. Every weekend including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day from 9:00pm friends and families are invited to gather round and enjoy the first the first in-person display since the start of the pandemic, with precautionary measures in place to ensure the health and safety of those in attendance.
Dates: 9,10,16,17,23,24,30 December at 9:00 PM – 31 December at 12:00 AM
Ringing in 2022 in style
As with every year, Yas Island’s skies will explode in a blaze of color and lights with a mesmerizing fireworks display in celebration of the New Year. Guests can feast their eyes on the festive décor all around Yas Island, Yas Marina and Yas Bay and participate in a celebratory New Year’s countdown to one of the most iconic and festive firework displays in the region, marking the Golden Jubilee year of the unification of the UAE and looking ahead towards the next 50 years.
For more information, bookings, and terms and condition, please visit: www.yasisland.ae
With social distancing and sanitization measures in place at restaurants across Yas Island, you will be able to enjoy the festive season this year while maintaining your peace of mind. For more information on precautionary measures being taken at Yas Island, please visit yasisland.ae/yaswellness.
Notes to Editor
Please find below listings of culinary offerings available on Yas Island during the festive season and over New Year.
Festive Season Offerings
W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island
- B.I.G. GOES FESTIVE: Gather your friends & family for B.I.G – Brunch In Garage on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Enjoy seasonal tunes from the Resident DJ and sweet treats delivered by the hardworking elves. If rumours are true, the big man in red might make an appearance on track this year, but keep your eyes peeled as he is travelling at speed! Prices start from: AED 310
- Festive Night Lights– Get into the festive spirit at WET Deck on the 24th of December, the ultimate party spot, as DJ James plays the best of urban and pop classics, with a seasonal twist.
- W2GO Turkey: Holiday-makers seeking to enjoy this festive season in the comfort of their homes can order a W2GO Turkey from the W Abu Dhabi Yas Island this Christmas.
- Festive After-Brunch Bash: Enjoy cocktails and chilled beverages while the W Abu Dhabi’s resident DJ plays your favourite festive tunes to rock the night away.
- Shimmering Soak It Up- Christmas is coming to town at the capital’s coolest poolside hangout, WET Deck, with a live DJ and Sax player. 3 hour Beverage Package – Ladies – AED 150 – Gents – AED 200
Radisson Blu Yas Island
- Meet the Santa – Garden Brunch Edition – enjoy festive and Italian bites from 12:30 – 4:00 pm at Filini Garden on 24 December, welcoming in the festive season with prices starting from AED 199
- Ano Nuevo- Christmas at Amerigos – enjoy the true feel of a Mexican winter on 25th and 26th December with the Amergios brunch, lasting from 12:00 – 4:00pm on both days. Prices on 25th December start from AED 199 for a brunch with soft drinks, AED 299 for a brunch with house drinks, AED 99 for a dinner/ buffet with soft drinks for children between 6-12 years of age.
Hilton Abu Dhabi Yas-Island
- Festive Afternoon Tea at Osmo – When all the shopping and wrapping is done, take a well-deserved
break with our special festive themed afternoon tea. Relax with your friends while you nibble on our seasonal treats Price: AED 250 per person available from 2:00PM – 6:00PM | 3-31 December 2021
- Turkey takeaway- For the holiday homemakers, Hilton Abu Dhabi Yas Island offers a signature roast turkey ready for pick up with traditional stuffing and trimmings, starting from the 26th of November to the 24th of December. Prior reservations and bookings are required. Price: AED 899
- Christmas Brunch at Hilton Abu Dhabi Yas Island- Immerse your senses in the Hilton Abu Dhabi Yas Island Christmas brunch, featuring prizes for those who have their best Christmas suit on, from the 24th-25th December 2021. Prices starting from AED 190
Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi – Yas Island
- The Great Santa “Day-Dream Brunch” – Catch Santa at Stills in Crown Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island for a chance to win a couple of tickets to your dream destination this Christmas Eve! Featuring live entertainment, guests can feast on this festive brunch menu curated by Crowne Plaza’s resident chefs. Packages starting from AED 199 including soft drinks, AED 299 including alcoholic beverages and AED 349 available from 12:30 – 4:00 pm
- XL- X’Mas– take your family out for a lavish spread of festive treats, with a winter choir singing joyful songs, for an XL celebration at Stills, with unlimited drinks and XL platters. Unlimited bites and drinks starting from AED 100 only- 8pm onwards.
- Levant Style Christmas at Barouk Lebanese Restaurant – Celebrate the Christmas Eve with your favorite Arabic delicacies with a hearty set menu including kebabs, mixed grills and a choice of Middle Eastern desserts. Starting from AED 180 – Special set menu with soft, AED 280 – Special Set menu with premium beverages, AED 80 – for kids between 6-12 years.
- Lebanese Christmas Christmas Brunch– Savor delectable Lebanese set menu with Turkey and Ouzi carving stations whilst you delight in Barouk’s talented set of Arabic singer and keyboard player. Starting from AED 180 – Special set menu with soft drinks, AED 280 – Special Set menu with premium beverages, AED 80 – for kids between 6-12 years.
Yas Island Rotana
- Special Christmas Eve Dinner at Choices – enjoy festive merriment with your family with a lavish selection of winter delicacies and delights. Prices start from AED 179 on 24 December from 6pm – 10pm.
- Christmas Day Brunch at Choices – share in the joy of the festive season at Choices, with a range of winter season food and merriment that will suit all the family. Head to Choices on 12:30pm – 4pm on 25 December, with prices starting from AED 249.
- Taste of Christmas at Rangoli – delight in the taste of the festive season with an all-you-can-eat-menu at Rangoli, in winter delights prepared with an Indian twist. Prices start from AED 189 on 24 December from 6pm – 12am.
New Year’s Eve and Day
Hilton Yas Island Abu Dhabi
- Graphos New Year’s Eve Dinner – Make this New Year an unforgettable one filled with the glam of your friends and family and the glitz of the fireworks over Yas Bay. Embark on a unique start to 2022 with us! 7 pm – 12 am. Prices start at AED 750 per adult including soft beverages, kids aged 6-12 years are at AED 375
W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island
- B.I.G Revup to 2022 – Head to B.I.G – Brunch in Garage, the famous brunch at W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, and get ready to sway into the New Year on 31st December. The fun will kick off at 8pm and last to 1am, with prices starting at AED 398 per person for a soft beverage package.
- Glitz into 2022 – Head into 2022 with a bang at WET Deck, W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island, as celebrations start at 10pm on 31 December and will go on until 1am, 1 January. Prices start at AED 688 per person inclusive of a Champagne beverage package.
- Soak it up 2022- Are you feeling the aftermath from your New Year’s celebration? So are we, but don’t sweat, the W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island has got your back with a New Year’s Day Soak It Up party. With DJ Cliff in control of the decks, and chilled beverages served poolside, start 2022 on a high note!
- Gotcha Covered This 2022- Detox your way into 2022 at W Abu Dhabi – Yas Island’s SPA. Indulge in a 60-minute full body massage, post-treatment refreshment, food platter in Garage, pool day pass and cooling mocktail for a stellar price of AED 445 per person. The perfect Christmas gift!
Radisson Blu Yas Island
- New Year’s Celebrations at Filini Garden – Filini Garden will celebrate a neon New Year’s Eve in the decades of the 90’s, with dining options off a lavish Italian menu available from 6pm onwards. Packages begin from AED 289.
- Año Nuevo at Amerigos – Enjoy New Year’s Eve with a massive Mexican street food party, surrounded by Latino sound all night long. Celebrations kick off at 9pm on 31 December, with packages for adults starting from AED 299 and for kids aged 6 – 11 from AED 139.
Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi – Yas Island
- New Year’s Arabian Night at Barouk Lebanese Restaurant – Dance into 2022 with Arabic music and a lavish levant spread at Barouk Lebanese Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi . Enjoy the best that Lebanon has to offer on 31 December, from 7pm – 12am, with packages starting from AED 250.
- Back to the Future New Year’s Party at STILLS – travel back to the eighties, nineties, and noughties at the end of 2022, with blasts from the past provided by DJ Kaysen. Wear iconic costumes from your favorite era, and win up to AED 500 of vouchers. Packages start from AED 120 on 31 December, from 8pm to late.
- Squid Games at STILLS – Get your player jackets on and head to Stills to welcome New Year. Win prizes up to AED 1500 for best costume. Packages start from AED 999 for groups of 6 and above.
Yas Island Rotana
- An Extraordinary New Year’s Eve Dinner Under the Stars at Choices at Rangoli – celebrate the coming of 2022 with delectable international cuisine and an outdoor barbeque feast under the stars at Yas Island, starting on 31 December from 7pm – 1am, with pricing starting from AED 289.
- Freestyle New Year’s Eve Party at Y BAR – Head into next year with noise and style at Y BAR, with festivities kicking off at 12pm and lasting to the following day (and year!) at 3am. Grab a table for four for three hours at AED 799.
Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Conrad K Sangma and Ambassador of Japan to India, H. E. Satoshi Suzuki, inaugurated the 5th edition of the Shillong Cherry Blossom Festival 2021 and the 1st edition of the Shillong Literature Festival at Wards Lake & Polo Ground in Meghalaya. The festival coincides with the actual blooming of cherry blossom flowers in the state, featured special performances from acclaimed artists with jam-packed crowds to see blossoms close to hitting peak bloom. The three-day festival, from 25-27 November 2021, witnessed a footfall of 50000 tourists and citizens.
Meghalaya is home not only to unique horticultural crops and fruits but also to plants of medicinal and ornamental value, like the Cherry Blossom. Primarily found across the east and west Khasi hills, cherry blossoms are also called Prunus Cerasoides and are considered a gift from the Himalayas. The buds start to show around late October and the full bloom begins in the early half of November, especially in the North-eastern city.
The cherry blossom trees in Shillong & Sikkim were planted mostly between 1955 to 1975, under the leadership of the state’s first Chief Secretary, Mr. Nari K Rustomji, who brought seeds from Japan and scattered them in the forested area around his residence. He later ordered the then-District Forest Officer, late Mr. Wahlang, to transplant the saplings to the banks of the Umkhrah near Polo Grounds, Ward’s Lake and Lady Hydari Park. Later, the Forest Department propagated it around the city.
In his brief address, the Deputy Chief Minister, Shri P. Tynsong said, “the festival is a run-up to the State 50th Statehood celebration and dedicated to the people of Meghalaya. The state will witness many more events to mark the Statehood celebration.”
The first edition of the Shillong Literature Festival witnessed a massive footfall of 10 thousand in three days at Wards Lake with “The Hills are alive” performance of Aroha Choir at the inaugural ceremony. The reading Hub gave the option of reading, interacting with authors and donating books, while young visitors aged 18-30 participated in Painting, Illustration, Short story, Essay, Poetry & Photography competition. A panel discussion with authors and artists and hip-hop performances by Khasibloodz, the lit fest also saw a quirky fashion show of recycled material by CatxLizz. Also, four books were launched during the festival including “Marriage” by Devdutt Patnaik.
Dr. Vijay Kumar D, IAS, Commissioner and Secretary, Government of Meghalaya said “Shillong Literature Festival has become a popular entity in art & literature eco-system, making it more inclusive and innovative while promoting music, art and culture. It will provide a platform to writers, readers and authors from the state to connect with literati from other parts of the country.”
Shillong has produced literati like U SoSo Tham & inspired Rabindranath Tagore, Varrier Elwin and others. The literature festival provided a platform for sharing of ideas by contemporary artists by forging ahead of the rich oral traditions. The concluding ceremony had veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah unplugged through candid conversation.
North East has immense talent and the literature festival will provide young minds with a platform to create entrepreneurs out of the artists in a sustainable model where the talent and passion of youth can become his livelihood. From fashion shows, band performances, graffiti artwork to games and local food the festival left citizens, travel enthusiasts and nature lovers mesmerized.
Thanksgiving Week took on an entirely new meaning at the Resort Hotel, Mumbai. The management of the hotel decided to recognise and appreciate the work of the cleaners of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
During the Covid period, while the rest of the hotel staff and management — and indeed, the entire citizenry — were confined in their rooms, these frontline workers were on the roads, keeping the city clean while at the same time having to protect themselves from the virus. They had to brush aside concerns about their own families and children as they were required to focus on maintaining the hygiene of the city. Ironically, they were unable to oversee the hygiene in their own homes during this period.
The hotel organised hi-tea for the workers and followed it up by a free medical check-up for all of them. This included eye check-up, ECG, complete blood profiling, and consultation with a medical doctor.
Speaking about the event, General Manager Mr Satyajit Kotwal said, “When we talk about basic rights, the working classes do not enjoy the respect which is enjoyed by the business classes or other white collared people. Dignity of Labour is a concept preached but not practiced by the affluent class. It is very clear that manual labour is extremely important and necessary for the smooth functioning of society. Giving this class the respect and dignity that are due to them is very essential.”
A BMC staff member declared, “This is the first time somebody has recognized that we too are human with the same concerns that others have. Normally we are taken for granted and blamed when things don’t go well. We thank the Resort for creating awareness about the importance of the work we do.”
The Resort hit upon the idea of using the period around the American Thanksgiving to express thanks and honour the staff of the Municipal Corporation. Each one of them was thanked individually.
This initiative of The Resort can be compared to the pioneering efforts of the first pilgrims who paved the way for the creation of a great nation. It has given a whole new meaning to dignity of labour, elevating Mumbai ‘s social ranking among the great cities of the world.
Bengaluru-based intra-city commute solution provider Tummoc has announced its collaboration with India’s largest and fastest-growing bike taxi startup, Rapido, to provide the first and last mile connectivity from the companys’ multi-modal transit mobile application. Tummoc’s data-driven transit platform is now expanding the range of ride options on its app intending to offer its users efficient commute options for end-to-end connectivity in the cities it operates in. Tummoc’s collaboration with Rapido is thus in-sync with the company’s ultimate vision, which also resonates with Rapido’s goal of making last-mile connectivity affordable through its disruptive service model.
Tummoc has established its operations in key metro cities of Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Kolkata, where users can access Tummoc’s mobile application to understand public transport routes and transport options between two points within a city at the click of a button. And choose the most optimum combination that saves on time and cost of travel. Tummoc’s “Plan My Trip” feature helps users discover multiple ways to reach their destination, including Rapido’s bike and auto network in the aforementioned cities along with other public and private transport options, to find the best route suiting their requirements.
Commenting on this recent collaboration, Hiranmay Mallick, Founder-Tummoc quipped, “Tummoc’s mission of ushering in an era of smart and cashless urban commuting has got a significant boost with this collaboration with Rapido while staying true to our goal of Integrating all MaaS (Mobility as a Service) providers to offer our customers a wide range of first and last-mile transport options. We believe that both companies share the common thread of transforming how India commutes and that has brought us together to pioneer a new transit ecosystem for the scores of daily commuters in our country. Our association will be applicable for all the cities Tummoc operates in and will allow our customers to access Rapido’s network of trained bike and auto riders to plan and embark on their trips within each city. We hope to leverage on our strengths, grow together and provide an even greater end-user experience in the times ahead.”
On its part, Rapido has been redefining the concept of intra-city travel by offering customers quick and affordable bike taxi services through its vast network of 1million+ bike ‘captains’ spread across 100+ Indian cities. With convenience features like doorstep pick-up with assured ride safety and economically priced rides even in rush hour or traffic situations. Rapido has amassed a customer base of more than 10million and will leverage its collaboration with Tummoc to expand further in the cities it operates in. Speaking on the growth prospects, Aravind Sanka, Founder-Rapido added, “We are happy to collaborate with Tummoc to provide its customers with one-touch access to our fleet of bike taxis that are redefining standards of comfort & convenience. As a brand and a service, it is our constant endeavor to redefine ourselves and we believe this partnership will help both companies to synergize efforts to facilitate an exemplary end-user experience through first and last-mile rides provided through the platform. It is heartening to see how both companies share a similar vision for door-step accessibility in India and are confident of transforming the urban commute space further through this collaboration.”
With personal transportation costs escalating on the back of rising fuel prices, Tummoc facilitates commuters in discovering the fastest route employing commonly available transport while Rapido is working on the ground to deliver a safe commuting experience at reasonable costs. Additionally, both companies are helping reduce the overall carbon footprint for each of their customers and are contributing to India’s goal of reducing its total projected carbon emissions by one billion tonnes before 2030.
Detailed guidelines have been issued for heritage conservation covering maintenance of Steam Locomotives, up-keep of Hill Railways, promotion of Hill and Steam tourism, strengthening Railway Museums, conservation of buildings, artefacts, digitization and online dissemination of Railway Heritage etc.
There are 21 Rail Museums, 16 Heritage Galleries and 9 Heritage parks on Indian Railways.
There are five Hill Railways namely Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR), Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR), Kalka Shimla Railway (KSR), Matheran Light Railway (MLR) and Kangra Valley Railway (KVR). Out of these, three Hill Railways namely DHR, KSR and NMR have been declared as World Heritage sites by UNESCO.
Four Hill Railways namely DHR, KSR, NMR and MLR have been identified for monetisation. As outsourcing has not been done at this stage, details are not available.
This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Commerce & Industry and Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Shri Piyush Goyal in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.