Gershwyn Eustache Jnr And Chyna MacQueen Also Star, Production Begins This Week In Jamaica
WEBWIRE – Saturday, May 7, 2022
- HBO and Channel 4 co-production of the six-episode drama limited series, GET MILLIE BLACK, has cast Tamara Lawrance to star in the title role, with Tanya Hamilton to direct.
- Joe Dempsie, Gershwyn Eustache Jnr And Chyna McQueen also star. Production begins May 2nd in Jamaica, with additional shooting in London to come.
- Logline: Ex Scotland Yard detective Millie-Jean Black returns to Kingston to work missing persons; soon finding herself on a quest to save a sister who wont be saved, to find a boy who cant be found, to solve a case that will blow her world apart and prove almost as tough to crack as Millie Black.
– Tamara Lawrance as Millie-Jean Black, A police detective forced to quit Scotland Yard and return to the country of her birth, Jamaica, to work missing persons cases for the JPF (Jamaican Police Force), Millie is a woman caught between worlds and conflicting versions of herself. Lawrance is represented by Gordon and French and UTA.
– Joe Dempsie as Luke Holborn, a British detective who shows up in Kingston on the trail of a major investigation thats set on a collision course with Millies. Bringing all the baggage of Scotland Yard with him, Holborns presence on Millies home turf is destined to be triggering in all sorts of ways. Dempsie is represented by B-Side Management in the UK, UTA and Atlas Artists in the US.
– Gershwyn Eustache Jnr as Curtis, As a gay cop, Curtis can go only so far in his own police force; as Millie Blacks partner, hes about to have his whole life shattered. Eustache is represented by ARG.
– Chyna McQueen as Hibiscus, Millies sister and one of the Sunlight Ladies, a band of Queer outcasts living hand-to-mouth yet exuberantly in the gullies that run throughout Kingston. Hibiscus is the sister Millie never bargained for. Millie is the sister Hibiscus never knew she needed. McQueen is represented by RAW Management.
- Download headshots here
- Marlon James, Creator and Executive Producer quote: This is the first major international TV show to put my home country, Jamaica center stage, so its beyond awesome to have actual world-class Jamaican talent both in front and behind the camera, with our star Tamara Lawrance and Director Tanya Hamilton.
- Simon Maxwell, CEO, Motive Pictures and Executive Producer quote: We are immensely proud to announce such a stellar line-up of talent on GET MILLIE BLACK from directors Tanya Hamilton and Annetta Laufer, to writers Theresa Ikoko, Lydia Adetunji and Joshua St Johnston, to a cast that showcases some of the most exciting acting talents from Jamaica and the UK, led by Tamara Lawrence, Joe Dempsie, Gershwyn Eustache Jnr and a debut performance destined to electrify audiences from rising Kingston star, Chyna McQueen.
- About Tamara Lawrance: A BAFTAs Breakthrough Talent 2020, Tamaras film Silent Twins, in which she stars and executive produces, debuts in Un Certain Regard at Cannes this year. Her award winning performance in The Long Song for Heyday Films earned her the lead in the independent feature Kindred, for which she was nominated for Best Actress at BAFTA Scotland. Tamara is also known for several award winning plays in London including leading roles at the National and Royal Court Theatre.
- About Tanya Hamilton: Tanya Hamilton, a Sundance Institute writing and directing fellow is the writer/director of the award-winning film Night Catches Us. Hamilton was also the pilot director and executive producer of the series Cherish the Day. Among her other small screen directing credits are multiple episodes of HBOs Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty, Showtimes The Chi and Epixs Berlin Station and The Godfather of Harlem.
- Credits: An HBO and Channel 4 co-production; Creator/Executive Producer, Marlon James (represented by The Trident Media Group and Anonymous Content); Lead Director/ Co-Executive Producer, Tanya Hamilton (represented by Michael Lewis and Associates); Executive Producer, Simon Maxwell (CEO Motive Pictures, and Executive Producer); Director (2 episodes), Annetta Laufer (represented by 42 Management); Executive Producer, Leopoldo Gout; Writer/Co-Executive Producer, Joshua St. Johnston (represented by LARK Management); Writer, Theresa Ikoko (represented by Independent Talent Group); Writer, Lydia Adetunji (represented by The Agency); Story Producer, Pia Furtado (Motive Pictures).