Select Page

Vienna, Virginia (webnewswire) June 6, 2019 – A Fairfax immigration attorney at Johnson & Masumi recently released a blog with a checklist of K2 visa requirements. The K2 visa allows the child of a K1 visa holder to accompany their parent while they travel the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiance.

The K2 visa’s primary requirements are roughly the same as those of a K1 visa. A sponsor must list the child’s name on a K1 visa application, submit an adoption or birth certificate, and fill out additional forms. To be eligible, the K2 visa applicant must under 21 years old and not legally married, however, they may be either biologically-related or adopted. If there is another parent still living in the home country, all custody laws of the country must be consented to in regard to the child’s move to the United States, and a written consent form by the other parent may be required.

Children may not qualify for the K2 visa if they are already married or over the age of 21. In this instance, if the child wishes to accompany their parent to the U.S., they will be required to secure an alternative visa. They may be able to find a job in the U.S. and obtain an employment visa, apply for a family-based green card, or enter the green card lottery. Before applying for an alternate visa, ensure that the application for the original K2 visa was filled out correctly, as applications may be denied for incomplete or inadequate information.

Speak to the immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi for more information about the K2 visa and how you can begin your application process. The firm’s experienced attorneys can assist you throughout the process to minimize the risk of your application being denied. Johnson & Masumi can also help navigate the application process for a range of other visas, including employment, refugee, and green card applications. The firm can be contacted at 703-688-8279 or online at Its offices are located at 8300 Boone Blvd. Suite 225, Vienna, VA 22182.