Velocity MR, a leading market research and analysis company announced the results of their pan India study to understand the celebrations and shopping patterns of respondents for this New Year’s Eve. The national survey was conducted among a sample size of 2,010 respondents and covered prominent Indian cities including Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, and Chennai.
The study reveals that 6 out of every 10 people preferred partying at home or friend’s home during New Year’s Eve, with a significantly higher number of people planning to travel within India and go on long drives during New Year’s Eve. The study also showed that 73% prefer shopping online. Velocity MR surveyed for a second year in succession to understand shifting trends in this segment.
Adds Jasal Shah, Managing Director & CEO of Velocity MR, “Over the past few years, India has matured as a market and grown at a rapid pace. The Indian E-commerce industry has been on an upward growth trajectory, with increased adoption of smartphones giving rise to a new level of the consumer experience. The same can be observed in this study, which shows an increasing trend for online shopping and gifting.”
He further adds, “With all the westernization, New Year’s Eve has become one of the most celebrated days all across the country. People like to celebrate this eventful day with family, friends and loved ones. It can be observed through this study that people prefer staying at home than standing in line for drinks or waiting in the cold for an oversold Uber.”
Highlights of the Study
• 61% of the respondents plan to party at home/friend’s home.
• More than 70% have shopped for Christmas or New Year’s Eve online in 2017/2016. Hence there is a high possibility that they would shop online in 2018 as well comparing to 71% in 2017.
• Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Paytm remains to be the most preferred online shopping websites with more than 50% of respondents preferring them.
• There is a high scope for online gift delivery websites like “Oyegifts.com, 1800giftportal.com, cakeflowergifts.com”, as 13% of the respondents have expressed that they are willing to use it.
• Myntra and Shein are most preferred by women, while men mostly prefer Paytm.
• Clothes seem to be the most preferred category of purchase, having 68% of the respondents favoring it. Also, Perfumes, chocolates, accessories, kids’ toys seem to be highly preferable.
• While women are more favorable towards cosmetics, jewellery, and accessories, men are more favorable towards shoes and gadgets.
• Vacation within India and long drives also seem to be most preferred with 36% of the respondents choosing it.
• The younger age group (25 – 30 years) have plenty of options for the year-end celebrations – relatively higher for visiting discos & pubs.
• Foreign trips and long drives are the least favored by the respondents less than 25 years of age.
• On an average people are ready to spend up to INR 40,000 on vacation.
• Respondents who are planning for a local trip or resort/homestay, are willing to choose either 4-star/3-star hotels on their own or going through OYO rooms, Treebo Hotels, and MMT.
• Online food delivery and restaurants/hotels would have huge demand, as more than 55% of the respondents prefer snacks and dinner.
• Cakes, pastries, cookies, chocolates and full course Indian meals are the most preferred food/snacks.
About Velocity MR
Velocity is a tech-savvy insights provider with a Global Presence, providing Proprietary Panels, Real web-based CATI, a Strong Field Force, Responsive Client Servicing capabilities and is armed with sophisticated Research Capabilities. Velocity is today one of the youngest and highly tech-oriented research companies globally. In a world where unstructured data is flowing in all directions, understanding distinctive consumer behavior towards brands is getting tougher and tougher. The company while being part of Cross Marketing Inc. Tokyo has some of the finest brains in the industry along with the best available technology platforms to deliver world-class research solutions to clients. The integration of technology coupled with high-quality data imparts speed, hence providing a ‘Quick turnaround time’ in collating, analyzing and interpreting research data.